This deployment was really cold at first. It was like sitting in a deer stand for days at a time. You can see I have a blanket over my legs.
This is what we had for a restroom. You put a wag bag, basically like a trash bag, in the center. Then you close the top and do your business. It was better than the alternative of pooping in a bucket.
Here are some piles of "grass" that we decided needed to be burned instead of being sold to pay for the bad guys new toys.
Here I am on a hilltop scouting for a position to possibly use later.
This is me about to start making diner.
I'm a tiger, "roarrrr."
Their standards for bridges are not as high as those in the states. Makes crossing with a heavy pack a fun experience.
I was somewhat of a drifter this deployment, but this is the team that I worked with most of the time.
This is what my job really comes down to. The screen in front of me is covered in hay, like what I am sitting in. People walked within a few feet of the hole and didn't realize that it was not just hay behind it. I have my ghillie top on, and am waiting and watching an area that had been a hotspot for enemy activity.
Here is me getting my brand. You can see how great it felt by the expression on my face.
Here is my fresh branding. I guess that I am livestock on the double "S" ranch.
This is me giving one of my buddies his brand. I was really enjoying myself from the looks of it.
These are the tools of the branding trade. You can see that it is quit affordable to do.
Look how pretty. Yeah, that is poppy, the stuff they make heroin out of.
6 comments:
(this is ladawn)it's really good to have you home, even though we havent seen you yet. It's just good to know you are safe! I love to be able to see some of the things you had to do, although im sure it's nothing compared to what it is really being there. So glad i have a working toilet to do my business in! It's amazing how much I take for granted! that branding looks painful!! what the heck? will you have that forever? that's pretty sick if you ask me! So happy you are home though!
I got to set down with Nickle and have him show me these (and so many more) photos, it was a lot of fun having him explain each one to me. Now I look forward to seeing everyone else comment. I miss having the opportunity to see Afghanistan like I did Iraq; it is nice to have someone in the family taking pictures to show me what it looks like outside the wire. These are great photos Nickle, thanks for posting them for us all to see.
Love ya,
Dad
It will be so wonderful when the world is the celestial kingdom and we can go anywhere on it an see the beauty that God has created for us and not worry that we will be killed by someone who hates us. I agree with LaDawn, there is so much that I take for graneted. The chicken, yea I complain about having to get frozen chicken out of the freezer an thaw it out, and trying to think of something for dinner. Heck lets just eat out. And I about gag pulling out a gizzard from the chicken I buy at the store. I think you guys are very brave over there, but maybe you are a little to brave and a little to bored, branding yourself does not sound like a whole lot of fun to me. (It doesnt look to fun either) Those are really great pictures. I cant wait for you guys to come back home and show us more.
Wow, thanks for all the cool pictures...it really is weird thinking it is real, not a movie! I agree with LaDawn and marie..makes me more grateful for my life. Thank you nickle for serving me and this country!
I love that, I was not expecting to see these pictures. How long after the branding did that hurt?? I know when I burn my self with my straightener I want to cry for like an hour!! Maybe its weird but it looks like a fun adventure! I'm sure you didn't take pictures of the times it sucked though:/ (except the branding)
Nickle,
Here I am looking at your post instead of working....
This is freaking awesome!!! You must have one of those weather proof cameras or something.
Anyhow, that is some pretty intense stuff. I really like your bonfire!! Too bad you couldn't have a hot dog roast.
You should put up more of these pics...that is some crazy stuff.
Post a Comment